A collection of all of my rants and ramblings about the television shows I watch and the people who make them. There will also be the occasional post about my life. =D

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Can't Tell You... Magician's Code

This entry is less of a rant and more of a place for me to squeal over all of my spectacular How I Met Your Mother feelings. Because in one (well technically two since it was split in half) episode, this show brought me so much joy that I literally made zero sense when conversing with others afterward. I texted my friend, "Perfect show is perfect!" Like... that makes no sense but at the same time it explains this episode in absolute perfection. I am indeed talking about the season 7 finale, "The Magician's Code."

Usually finale's make people angry. And I guess if you're still hoping that Robin will end up with Ted (y'all need to give that up) or if you're part of the delusional group of fans that actually likes Barney and Quinn together, this episode probably did make you mad. It probably pissed you right off and if it did, well... You completely missed the point of these joyous occasions. Yes, that's plural, because so much happened- they packed so much into this finale- that I had to write it all down just to make coherent sense with my feelings. And thus, this entry came to be.



So we'll start at the beginning- The Magician's Code, Part 1. Marshall and Barney are in Atlantic City when they receive news that Lily's in labor and Ted, not so helpfully, sends everyone on his contact list a ridiculous video about the labor. Robin takes control and tells Lily she'd spent a summer delivering foals on her aunt's farm, or something equally ridiculous, and this doesn't make Lily feel better, even if she does enjoy being brushed and eating sugar cubes. To distract Lily from the pain of the contractions, Ted and Robin tell her a bunch of randomly hilarious stories about the previous year.

And this is where TV overlaps, folks. While watching these scenes that supposedly happened over the current season- even though we've never seen them- I had a sense of deja vu. Then I realized why- How I Met Your Mother was attempting to do a fake clip show, just as Community has successfully done, twice. And yes, I may be a little biased, but I personally thought Community did it better. But anyway. The story of the secret door, the time Barney saved a girl's life, and the worst cab ride ever were absolutely hysterical, so props, guys.



Fast forward a few scenes- Barney bribes a bus driver to take him and Marshall to the hospital where Lily's giving birth. In exchange for this favor- because even the birth of his friend's baby can't stop Barney from garnishing wages- Barney gets to choose the little boy's middle name. And choose well he does- as Lily introduces their son to the other three, she announces her son as Marvin Waitforit Eriksen. Everyone thinks this is the coolest middle name ever and though I was a bit wary at first, once you say it a bunch of times, it's so freaking awesome.


And though a lot of people absolutely hate it when babies are born on TV, I have to disagree. Maybe it's because this show is different than others and I don't cringe watching it like I do with other laugh-track comedies. Adding little Marvin to the bunch just seems like the natural course of action after seven years of waiting for Marshall and Lily to procreate. Even though those two haven't always been, ahem, mature- yes, I'm referencing the chugging of beers and "eating sandwiches"- they're going to be wonderful parents because they're just right for it. They fit together and they fit with their newborn son and it warmed my heart- I know, how cheesy- to see them with their little bundle of joy.



But then... the episode started to worry me. Reason one- Barney and Quinn. I personally have no idea why he was so obsessed with this girl. And it isn't because I'm a Barney-and-Robin fan, because I actually really liked the whole arc where he was dating Nora- yeah, remember Nora? But anyway, Quinn's a freak of nature. I've seen arguments where people are like, "Quinn makes Barney a better person!!" Um... I beg to differ. Their relationship is so competitive it's unhealthy; they spend most of their time battling, wit for wit, until one dominates the other. Until they pick a fight and do it all over again. It's irritating. He's always trying to figure out a way to outsmart her and she's always giving him a snarky, sarcastic retort. Blegh. But, even through the aforementioned scene, I remained calm.



Until this. Guys, I know this is a super unpopular opinion, but I hate Victoria. And yeah, I'm aware she's not the mother, so this ride off into the sunset is only a mere fling, but that doesn't make it okay. She's annoying, I don't even think I have a stronger argument. And instead of focusing on who the mother is, we're STILL focusing on who the mother is not. What the hell. Can we move on? Because as charming and endearing as Ted is, I don't think I can watch another season of his failed relationships and him whining, "I wanna get marrieeeeeeeeed!!!" Like... Honestly.



And then this happened and I screamed my head off. But unlike the obscenity-filled tirade I embarked upon an hour earlier during the Gossip Girl finale, this one was much smoother and much, much more enjoyable. The first time I watched it I was hopping up and down, I was flailing, I was squealing, I was shouting things that made no sense, I texted my friend and, like I said, the message was completely incoherent. I was just so happy and so relieved that it wasn't Quinn that I could not contain myself. Recently I rewatched this fabulous finale and felt all the feelings again. But instead of relief, I was like, "Oh my God, how could we not see this coming? Why were we even worried? Of course it was going to be Robin!!" Like was there honestly any way he'd wind up marrying some rando ex-stripper? Yeah, exactly.


Anyway, those are my feelings. September 24th at 8 p.m. all you How I Met Your Mother fans have a date with CBS to see where this all picks up. I know that everything isn't going to be sunshine and rainbows- Barney's still with Quinn, Robin's going to move on, and somehow, they have to reunite and actually decide to get married. And, when this time comes, both are going to get cold feet. Yeah, we all know that. But I hope it doesn't last too long and I hope that there aren't too many complications for Ro Ro and the Barnstormer (their nicknames, not mine) to overcome. Because, let's face it, they've been through a lot. And honestly, right now, I just want them to be happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment