A collection of all of my rants and ramblings about the television shows I watch and the people who make them. There will also be the occasional post about my life. =D

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Prison Break? More Like Prison Broke My Heart


Guys, I finished Prison Break and I'm a complete mess. This blog post is likely to be very short and quite incoherent because I can't even express how amazing/upsetting/beautiful the Prison Break finale was. Everything was beautiful and yet everything still hurts, because I can't. I just can't. I'm crying- there's a shocker, am I right?- and my roommate thinks I'm crazy but... If you've watched, you'll understand. And if you haven't, you're about to. Major spoilers up ahead, so if you're thinking of watching, turn back now. I'm about to ruin it for you.


So Lincoln's in trouble, that's how the final episode of Prison Break entitled "Killing Your Number" began. Christina Scofield shot him through the bottom ventricle of his lung, basically granting him a slow and painful death. But not on our watch- Alex Mahone to the rescue!! Mahone detonates a bomb, Christina and her man-protector are killed, and Mahone, Lincoln, Sara, and Michael are able to escape to a seemingly "safe" house. They have Scylla, now, and are trying to figure out what to do with it. If they give it to the General, everything goes back to the way it was- people dying for no reason. If they smash it, what was the point of getting it in the first place? But they decide to destroy it untillllllll- C-Note, Sucre, and Kellerman- whaaaat?! He's alive?! Yes, yes he is- come to their aid and convince them it's a terrible idea. Instead, they should release it to the UN so they can all be exonerated of all charges and move on with their lives. Hmm, what to do, what to do?!

Anyway, there's this huge scene where they try to figure out if they can trust Kellerman, because let's face it, the man hasn't exactly been honest in the past. But Christina comes in, tries to kill Michael and steal Scylla in the process. But oh no, friends, you think Sara's going to let some psycho bitch kill her child's father? Ha, you'd be wrong. She kills Christina, Michael turns Scylla in to Kellerman and the UN and then everyone's exonerated!! Everything is beautiful and nothing hurts!!


Except... yeah, it does. Once they're free, Michael and Sara take a leisurely stroll down the beach, holding hands and talking about their baby, which I think I'm more excited about than they are (though I'm still wondering when they conceived this child because honestly, when the fuck was there time to fuck?!). They're so freaking cute and they're happy for like half a second, which is more time than they've ever had, until Sara looks at Michael and notices his nose is bleeding. And that's when I knew my fears were becoming reality. Michael was sick again and he and Sara weren't going to get their happy ending.

The "Four Years Later" card rolled by. We saw everyone- C-Note being a UPS man, Kellerman in congress, T-Bag back behind bars, Sucre finally with his family, Mahone with his new girlfriend Agent La-something. Can't remember. We even saw Lincoln and Sofia in Panama at their surf shop. But Sucre, Mahone, and Lincoln were all leaving to go somewhere; somewhere we were unaware of. Then, the camera goes to Sara, all lovely in a sundress buying a bouquet of flowers. She says, "Michael, we have to go," and when she turns around, she's talking to her son, not her husband. She asks Michael Jr. if he's ready to go see Daddy, he says yes, and they skip off to meet up with Lincoln, Sucre, and Mahone. From there, we see this:




Never in the world did I expect him to die. I guess I probably should have seen it coming, but I was blinded by the fact that everyone was exonerated and he and Sara were going to have a baby that I just figured his medical thing would sort itself out, like it did previously. However, that wasn't the case. They aren't there to meet up with Michael- they're there to pay their respects to Michael, because, as we assume, he succumbed to his brain tumor and didn't live to tell the tale. I'm already sobbing, but this is all before The Final Break. Oh yeah, this wasn't the end, folks.


The Final Break, or as Netflix put it "The Old Ball and Chain/Free," is the hour-and-a-half long look into what happened in between the exoneration and the four years later. It begins super happily- Michael and Sara's wedding. It's the smallest ceremony I've ever seen- just the bride, the groom, the groom's brother, and the groom's ex-cell mate, and of course, a priest. They get married and they're partying it up at their reception until it's broken up by Miami-Dade police who've come to arrest Sara for the murder of Christina Scofield. What the actual fuck... And just when Michael and Sara were happy, too. This seems to be a theme with them. God forbid they should be happy for a hot second...


So Sara doesn't really bode well in prison because, let's face it, she's not the prison type. Plus she's pregnant, so that's an added worry and since the warden knows she's married to the most famous prison-breaker around, she forbids Michael from visiting her. Somehow they get around that and poor Michael's devastated face when he sees Sara's beaten one is just unbearably sad, because he knows it's his fault she's in prison in the first place. Anyway, a lot of inconsequential stuff happens and Michael, Sucre, Lincoln, and Mahone plan to break Sara out before prison kills her. Or, before Gretchen kills her, because let's face it, the bitch is crazy.

Long story short, Michael makes it in when Mahone causes a distraction and Lincoln and Sucre are driving the getaway car, poised at their supposed exit. However, they get all the way to the end of the line, where an electronic door stands in between them and their freedom. They try everything to get the door open until Michael realizes what he has to do. And this is where I started crying again:


It's when he started saying goodbye to Sara. That's when I lost it. He tells he she has to go so he can save her and she says she isn't going anywhere unless he's coming with her. Then I freaking lost it because he touched her pregnant belly and said, "But I am coming with you." They professed their love for one another one final time, kissed as though their lives depended on it, and then Sara reluctantly hurried to the door, both of them crying their eyes out as I joined them in despair. Michael gave his life for Sara's and their baby's so they could be free. And what a way to go:


There's an explosion and then nothing. Sara yanks open the door, runs down the hall, and into the night, where Mahone, Lincoln, and Sucre are waiting for her. Lincoln asks where Michael is and when Sara begins to cry, everyone knows. He sacrificed his life for her, for everyone, and lament fills the air and I'm crying and they're crying and everything hurtsssss. Mahone hands Lincoln and Sara the papers and DVD Michael wanted them to have in case he didn't make it. The papers are his medical reports, stating his tumor had come back and he didn't have long to live, anyway. The DVD is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and I cried my eyes out when Lincoln and Sara sat down to watch it.



And here it is, Michael's last message to Sara and Lincoln:

"Well, if you're watching this, I'm glad, because it means you're safe. And that's all I ever wanted. I wish I could be there with you, but as you probably know now, I wouldn't have had much time anyway. So I made my choice, and I don't regret it. Anyway, not too long from now there's going to be another little Scofield running around. And Linc--I want you to promise me, no matter what, they're going to grow up knowing their uncle is never far away. And Sara, I want you to promise me that you're going to keep an eye on Linc. As you may have noticed, he has a tendency to get in trouble. You know, we spend so much of our lives not saying the things we want to say. The things we should say. We speak in code and we send little messages, origami. So now, plainly, simply... I want to say that I love you both... very much. And I want you to promise me that you're going to tell my child... that you're going to tell my child how much they're loved every day. And remind them how lucky they are to be free. Because we are. We're free now. Finally. We're free."

I'm going to leave you all with that, because I'm crying again. Good night. </3 

6 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel I finished watching it a few weeks ago on Netflix and I was completely torn up. I can't even bring myself to watch The Final Break because I can't stand to see Michael Scofield die twice. I felt like a crazy person, I was mourning a fictional character and the day after watching the last episode I was soo depressed. Even while watching "Lost" I wasn't that attached to the characters. This show really needed an alternate ending for fans. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG OMG i am sooo glad i found out that someone is still obsessed with Prison Break as I am! I can just imagine how you feel about this whole thing, the ending. it broke my heart when i saw the last scene i just couldn't hold it like i had to cry :( I've watched the show three times in the past three years and i've also watched many other shows but none has distracted my attention like prison break did <3 i'm still very in love with Michael Scofield and all the other characters and the plot and EVERYTHING :(((( i just want to watch it over and over again !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so depressed right now... i just want to see a happy PERFECT ending.. i wish they didnt make the final break.. that just killed it for me. BUT the one question that i have and i hope someone can answer this for me here... WHY THE FUCK did sara get put into prison.. (i know she killed christina) but how could she not get exonerated from that when it seems like "they got away" with everytyhing else.. why couldn't it be self defense or something? she was company no? she was a threat and had scylla no? why couldn't this be explained to fbi/courts/etc... why couldn't kellerman or someone just someone exonerate her?? i just dont get it... christina is the one person that was actually the real bad person along with krantz in this whole thing.. she was the criminal.. but why did sara get put into prison for it??? please answer this im dyinggg... i feel so sad =( i hope this feeling goes away soon i got an exam to study for =/. isn't it crazy that i feel this way about a freaking SHOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God I know how you all feel, I finished watching it yesterday & don't know how I've avoided it all these years. I cried my eyes out last night, when I woke up this morning and I'm sitting here now sobbing(doesn't help that it's that time of the month!). I feel ridiculous as its only a tv show but it was one of the most beautiful love stories and I think I definitely need to watch it again. I also don't understand why Sarah had to be arrested and also why Michael had to die, presumably his mum survived the surgery, why couldn't he have lived a long and happy life too? News of 5th season makes it all slightly more bearable, hoping for a happy ending there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why was she even arrested I thought they were exonerated

    ReplyDelete